News

CNN sues Donald Trump and White House aides for suspending Jim Acosta’s press pass

0

CNN has filed a lawsuit against President Donald Trump and the White House after its White House reporter, Jim Acosta had his press pass revoked by the administration.

jim-acosta

Acosta found his entry to the White House barred after a heated exchange with Trump during a press conference last week. The White House said it had revoked Mr Acosta’s pass because he placed his hands on a White House intern, something he denied.

In a statement, CNN said it had filed a “lawsuit against the Trump administration this morning in DC District Court.

It demands the return of the White House credentials of CNN’s Chief White House correspondent, Jim Acosta.

The White House Correspondents’ Association, whose members work for a range of news organisations, said it “strongly supports” the lawsuit.

The association’s president, Olivier Knox, said: “Revoking access to the White House complex amounted to disproportionate reaction to the events of last Wednesday.

 

“We continue to urge the Administration to reverse course and fully reinstate CNN’s correspondent. The President of the United States should not be in the business of arbitrarily picking the men and women who cover him.

 

“The wrongful revocation of these rights of freedom of the press, and their Fifth Amendment rights to due process.”

 

It added: “If left unchallenged, the actions of the White House would create a dangerous chilling effect for any journalist who covers our elected officials.”

 

The lawsuit names six defendants: Mr Trump, his chief of staff John Kelly, press secretary Sarah Sanders, deputy chief of staff for communications Bill Shine, Secret Service director Joseph Clancy, and the Secret Service officer who took Mr Acosta’s hard pass away last Wednesday. The unnamed officer is identified as John Doe in the suit.

 

In a statement on Tuesday, Mrs Sanders called it “more grandstanding from CNN” and said the administration would “vigorously defend” itself.

 

She said: “CNN, who has nearly 50 additional hard pass holders, and Mr. Acosta is no more or less special than any other media outlet or reporter with respect to the First Amendment.

 

“After Mr. Acosta asked the President two questions—each of which the President answered—he physically refused to surrender a White House microphone to an intern, so that other reporters might ask their questions. This was not the first time this reporter has inappropriately refused to yield to other reporters.

 

“The White House cannot run an orderly and fair press conference when a reporter acts this way, which is neither appropriate nor professional. The First Amendment is not served when a single reporter, of more than 150 present, attempts to monopolise the floor.

 

“If there is no check on this type of behaviour it impedes the ability of the President, the White House staff, and members of the media to conduct business.”

 

Comments

Comments are closed.