Ximena Barreto is the deputy director of communications at the Department of Health and Human Services (HSS), who has not stopped making inflammatory remarks about Democratic representatives.
Barreto, who in December 2017 joined the Trump administration as deputy director of communications for HHS, has come under fire for an image (found by CNN’s investigative KFile team) that Barreto shared in 2017. The image said “our forefathers would have hung” Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton for treason.
Barreto was subsequently placed on leave by HSS after Media Matters reported that she called Islam “a cult” and avidly supported the Pizzagate conspiracy theory, which alleged that Hillary Clinton was part of a child-sex ring based in a Washington, D.C. pizza restaurant.
As KFile continued to gather information on Barreto, increasingly more bigoted content was found on her Twitter account “RepublicanChick.” She often used the hashtag “#BanIsland” and, additionally, spread conspiracy theories about the death of Democratic National Committee staffer Seth Rich.
The conspiracy theories didn’t end there. Barreto also shared a conspiracy theory that French President Emmanuel Macron was controlled by the Rothschild family and that Clinton and Obama were controlled by investor and Democratic mega-donor George Soros. Both the Rothschilds and Soros are frequent targets of anti-Semitic conspiracy theories, and Barreto apparently buys right into those rumors.
Prior to joining HSS, Barreto was a far-right political pundit and blogger who was vocal about her support of Donald Trump. Additionally, Barreto co-hosted a YouTube show called “The Right View by Deplorable Latinas.”
On Barack Obama
In May of 2017, Barreto retweeted an image saying the “our forefathers would have hung” Clinton and Obama for treason. In August of 2017, Barreto retweeted an image of a statue of Obama labeling him “a Muslim terrorist.”
In January of 2017, Barreto wrote in a tweet that Obama was a “pansy and a traitor.”
CNN compiled a series of Barreto’s inflammatory, old tweets:
- In October of 2016, Barreto implied that Seth Rich was killed by either Clinton or the Democratic National Committee, using the hashtags #KilledByTheDNC #HillaryBodyCount #ClintonBodyBags.
- In May of 2017, Barreto retweeted a video about Rich, saying that “the media blackout and the silence from Washington on Seth Rich should scare the hell out of you.”
- On multiple occasions, as discovered by KFile, Barreto tweeted the hashtag “#BanIslam” and asserted that participants of the Women’s March had turned their back on “real oppression.”
- Barreto also tweeted “#DeportLSarsour,” referring to Women’s March organizer Linda Sarsour.
- Continuing her anti-Muslim sentiments, Barreto called for a boycott of Amazon because of an ad that showed a Christian priest and Muslim imam together, saying that “an Imam would never sit with a priest FYI.”
- Barreto in August of 2016 falsely claimed that Clinton aide Huma Abedin’s family had terrorist ties.
- In April of 2017, Barreto spread a conspiracy theory that Macron was controlled by the Rothschilds and that Clinton and Obama were controlled by Soros, saying, “Macron is just a political puppet of the Rothschilds, just like Obama and Hillary are Soros Puppets!”
A department spokesperson did not comment on Barreto’s discovered tweets, but they simply reiterated that she has been placed on leave while they look into the matter.